- 1951 AD (2008 BS) Central Intelligence Bureau as a Division
- 1992 AD (2049 BS) Establishment of Crime Investigation Department.
- December 21, 2008 Establishment of Women & Children Service Directorate.
“Security Assurance to the people by Effective crime prevention & Investigation in order to national and International laws.”
Numbers of Crime Investigation Units In Nepal Police:
198 police units (throughout the country)
|Central Investigation Bureau (CIB)||1|
|Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB)||1|
|Metropolitan Police Ranges||3|
|Metropolitan Police Circles||18|
|District Police Offices||72|
|Area Police Offices||98|
|Ward Police Offices||5|
Personnel deployment in Crime Investigation:
4691 (6.95% of total strength 67416)
Major objectives of CID are:
- To facilitate crime investigating units with available human resource, technology or whatsoever possible.
- To formulate central policy for Crime Control and Investigation.
- To issue criminal investigation policy directions and ensure the implementation of the policies at all levels under the bodies of investigation and investigators.
- To coordinate with the bodies of criminal justice system vis-à-vis national and international crime control agencies.
- To inspect and supervise under the bodies in order to make account of the work procedure and help evaluate the progress of Crime Investigation
- To perform human resource management activities including efficient deployment and appraisal of the criminal investigation officers.
- To develop human resource plan, conduct trainings and need analysis while identifying the areas of required skilled manpower and management needed for such trainings.
- To maintain the central database of all criminal cases, correlate with other agencies at national and international level vis-à-vis analyzing and formulating future plans and policies.
- To investigate heinous crimes that affect more than one region, zone and district areas of geographical boundaries, and facilitate inter-sector coordination and cooperation.
- To investigate the case(s) unresolved by the under bodies.
- To investigate other cases that are expected to be investigated by the center.
- To implement various programs to enhance effectiveness of rescue activities of the victim as well as arrange the public information or information flow about the crime situation, investigation provision etc.
- To arrange the appropriate scientific and other resources including the essential tools needed for criminal Investigation at regional, zonal and district levels..
- To ensure the best performance of Interpol related activities, including maintenance and exchange of criminal records at international level.
- To help implement Community Policing effectively.