“Together with Citizens in fighting all forms of Gender Based Violence”
Women, children and senior citizens are among the most vulnerable populations in the world suffering the most from poverty, social disparity and illness. Despite their pervasive role in the society, far too many numbers of women, children and senior citizens are at risk due to lack of basic care and support. Thus, this group needs special protection and care from all forms of violence and discrimination.
Nepal as a signatory country of the UN Convention on Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) and Convention on Rights of Child (CRC) is legally obliged to provide protection and fair treatment to women, children and senior citizens at all levels.
Women, Children and Senior Citizen Service Center (WCSC) (formerly known as Women Cell) was established within Nepal police in 1996 as a pilot project in four districts (Kathmandu, Lalitpur, Kaski and Morang) and one at central level in Police Headquarters as governing body. This was the first ever initiative from Nepal Police in compliance with various UN conventions, guidelines, resolutions, national policies, act, as well as the recommendations of Police Reform Commission.
Complying with one of the core organizational priorities of strict approach in combating all forms of inhumane acts against Women, Children and Senior Citizens. Nepal Police Women, Children and Senior Citizens Service Centers are actively operating under the direct supervision of Women, Children and Senior Citizen Service Directorate (WCSCSD) in all 77 districts including three (3) Ranges, nine (9) Circles and three (3) Sectors under the Metropolitan Police Office in Kathmandu Valley and 122 Area police offices, seven Provinces and Federal Police offices totaling to 240 units across the nation at present.
Ensuring widely available, fair and specialized police services for women, children, senior citizens and other vulnerable populations.
- Ensure Gender mainstreaming in organizational plans and policies
- Strengthen, broaden the scope and efficiency of women, children and senior citizen service centers
- Build police capacities especially in relation to handling of GBV related cases.
- Collection, compilation and scientific analysis of disaggregated data on crime against women, children and senior citizen from WCSCSCs all across the country.
- Production and publication of informative materials on GBV
- Raise public awareness on prevention of Crime Against Women, Children and Senior Citizen
- Coordination and networking with concerned stakeholders in prevention and response to GBV
Our Area of Work:
- Sexual offence ( rape, attempt to rape, sexual abuse and exploitation of children and marital rape)
- Domestic violence (physical, sexual, mental and economic violence)
- Offenses related to Marriage (Polygamy, child Marriage)Offenses related to Social Discriminatory practices (Allegation of witchcraft, Untouchability,
- Chhaupadi-menstrual taboo)
- Offenses related to reproductive rights (Illegal Abortion)
- Human Trafficking and Transportation.
- Offenses related to physical abuse and torture (Use of Tejab-Sulphuric Acid).
- Other associated offenses against Women and Children.
- Offenses related to Senior Citizens.
STRUCTURE OF WOMEN, CHILDREN AND SENIOR CITIZEN SERVICE DIRECTORATE
Crime data against Women, Children and Senior Citizen of Lockdown Period (Chaitra 11 to Shrawan 10)
|S.N||Types of Crime||Province-1||Province-2||Bagmati Province||Gandaki Province||Lumbini Province||Karnali Province||Sudurpaschim Province||Metro||Total|
|2||Attempt to rape||53||20||25||15||34||14||25||13||199|
|5||Allegation of Witchcraft||0||6||0||2||0||1||1||0||10|
|8||Child Sexual Abuse||19||10||10||14||11||3||4||8||79|
Crime data against Women, Children and Senior Citizen of Fiscal year 2076/077
|S.N||Types of Crime||Province-1||Province-2||Bagmati Province||Gandaki Province||Lumbini Province||Karnali Province||Sudurpaschim Province||Metro||CIB||Total|
|2||Attempt to rape||169||95||86||62||99||57||67||52||0||687|
|5||Allegation of Witchcraft||7||17||1||4||1||2||2||0||0||34|
|9||Child Sexual Abuse||58||33||37||31||34||5||7||26||1||232|
|Fiscal Year||Rape||Attempt to Rape||Abortion||Polygamy||Child Marriage||Domestic Violence||Witch Craft||Untouchability||
Child Sexual Abuse