Women and children are considered vulnerable and are provided special protection and treatment through various international charters and conventions. Nepal as a signatory country of the UN Convention on Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) and Convention on Rights of Child (CRC) is legally obliged to provide protection and fair treatment to women and children, whether offender or victim. The Women and Children Service Directorate (WCSD) is tasked especially to deal with the matters related to women and children.
In compliance with various UN conventions, guidelines, resolutions, national policies, acts and recommendations of Police Reform Commission, 1996 Nepal Police has established one central level and 4 district (Kathmandu, Lalitpur, Kaski and Morang) level Women and Children Service Centers (formerly known as Women Cell) as a pilot project.
At present, Women and Children Service Centers (WCSC) are actively operating in 75 districts across the nation apart from and 7 Metropolitan Circles in the Kathmandu Valley.
Ensuring widely available, fair and specialized services for women and children.
Provide accessibility to justice for women and children in a conducive reporting environment.
- Investigation, documentation and maintaining of database on criminal cases related to women and children.
- Build police capacities especially in relation to handling of SGBV related cases.
- Analyze crime patterns in relation to crimes committed against women and children.
- Production and publication of IEC materials.
- Strengthen and broaden the scope of women and children service centers.
- Raise public awareness.
- Coordination and networking with concerned stakeholders.
WCSCs deal with following cases:
- Human trafficking
- Sexual offence( rape or attempt to rape, incest, sexual abuse and exploitation of children and marital rape)
- Domestic violence (physical, sexual, mental and economic violence)
- Polygamy, child Marriage
- Illegal abortion
- Untouchability (chhuwachhut)
- Allegation of witchcraft
Role and responsibilities of WCSC:
- Awareness raising programs: rallies, radio and TV programs
- School liaison programs
- Publications (user guides for police and security and safety information for civil society)
- WCSC investigates and prosecutes crimes related to women and children.
3. Capacity building for police
- WCSD coordinates and carries out trainings and workshops for capacity building of the police regarding issues related to women and children.
4. Crime data management
- Keeping, analyzing and dissemination of crime data related to women and children, including data on missing children.
5. Victim support
- Provide support in co-ordination with concerned agencies.
6. Coordination and networking
- WCSC coordinates and networks with UN agencies, I/NGOsand government agencies.
- Establishment of 23 separate buildings for WCSC in
Jhapa,Morang,Sunsari,Kathmandu,Lalitpur,Kavre,Nuwakot,Sindhupalchowk,Makwanpur,Chitwan,Kaski,Nawalparasi,Rupandehi,Doti, Kailali, Dang, Udayapur, Sarlahi, Kapilvastu, Jumla, Bara, Rauthat and Dhanusha districts.
- 40 districts with juvenile justice officers:
Ilam, Jhapa, Sunsari, Morang, Dhankuta, Udayapur, Saptari, Siraha, Dhanusha, Mahottari,Sarlahi, Dolakha, Sindhuli,Kavre, Sindhupalchowk, Dhading, Kathmandu, Lalitpur ,Bhaktapur, Chitwan, Makwanpur, Bara, Parsa, Rautahat, Tanahu, Lamjung, Syangja, Kaski, Palpa, Nawalparasi, Rupandehi, Kapilvastu, Baglung, Dang, Banke, Bardiya, Jumla, Surkhet, Kailali and Kanchanpur.
- Establishment of Child Friendly Room in district level (20 locations)
Makwanpur, Kaski, Rupendehi, Morang, Kavre, Nawalparasi, Kalimati (KTM), Baudha( KTM), Balaju(KTM), Bhaktapur, Lalitpur, Chapa gaun( Lalitpur), Chitwan, Palpa, Syangja, Sunsari, Dang, Ilam, Kailali andThimi (Bhaktapur).
- Contributed to formulate Gender Policy of Nepal Police, 2069
- Contributed to incorporate gender issues in various police training curricula
- Separate posting of 1344 personnel for WCSC units
- Establishment of National Center for Children at Risk (Bhrikutimandap, Kathmandu) with hotline number 104
- Contributed to formulate Victim Support SOP, 2070
- Mobilization of gender based violence victim support and rescue van with hotline number under Metropolitan Police Commissioner's Office
Present activities :
WCSD has been conducting various capacity enhancement programs on issues like gender, women and children for police personnel in co-ordination with various organizations.
|S.N.||Year (BS)||Program title||No of Participants||Supported by|
|१||२०५८||महिला तथा वालवालिका बिरुद्धका अपराध अनुसन्धान सम्बन्धि अनुशिक्षण।||११७८||यूनिसेफ, नेपाल|
|२||२०५८||चेलीबेटी बेचबिखन र बाल यौन शोषण रोकथाम तथा अनुसन्धान बिषयक तालीम।||१५०||यूनिसेफ, नेपाल|
|३||२०५८||Basic Counseling तालीम||५०||यूनिसेफ, नेपाल|
|४||२०५८||Data Capture तालीम||१४||यूनिसेफ, नेपाल|
|५||२०५८||Data Analysis तालीम||९०||यूनिसेफ, नेपाल|
|६||२०६१||Victim Handling during Investigation and Disposing of Allegation and Improvement of Data System बिषयक||३९||यूनिसेफ, नेपाल|
|७||२०६५ र २०६६||ToT on Juvenile Justice Officer's Training (Senior Officer) -(7 days)||५०||यूनिसेफ, नेपाल|
|८||२०६५ र २०६६||Juvenile Justice Officer's Training (Junior Officer) – (5 days)||३६०||यूनिसेफ, नेपाल|
|९||२०६८||Justice for Children विषयमा प्र.नि.र प्र.ना.उ. दर्जाका प्रहरीहरुको लागि प्रशिक्षक प्रशिक्षण तालिम सम्पन्न।(६ कार्यदिन)||२५||यूनिसेफ, नेपाल|
|१०||२०६८||Justice for Children विषयमा जुनियर प्रहरी अधिकृतहरुको लागि ५ दिने प्रशिक्षण (धनगढी, बिराटनगर, पोखरा र नेपालगंज,)||१२०||यूनिसेफ, नेपाल|
|११||२०६८||Psychosocial Intervention Training (care for care- givers) to WCSC staffs बिराटनगर,नेपालगंज,पोखरा र उपत्यकामा सम्पन्न (प्र.स.नि.देखि प्र.नि. सम्म)||१५०||यूनिसेफ, नेपाल|
|१२||२०६८||Psychosocial Intervention Training (care for care- givers) to WCSC staffs बिराटनगर,नेपालगंज,चितवन र उपत्यकामा सम्पन्न (प्र.ह.र प्र.ज.को लागि)||३२५||यूनिसेफ, नेपाल|
|१३||२०६९||Justice for Children विषयमा जुनियर प्रहरी अधिकृतहरुको लागि ५ दिने प्रशिक्षण (चितवन)||३०||यूनिसेफ, नेपाल|
|१४||२०६९||Psychosocial Intervention Training (care for care- givers) to WCSC staffs उपत्यका र चितवनमा सम्पन्न (प्र.स.नि. देखि प्र.नि. सम्म)||५०||यूनिसेफ, नेपाल|
|१५||२०६९||Psychosocial Intervention Training (care for care- givers) to WCSC staffs चितवन र उपत्यकामा सम्पन्न (प्र.ह.र प्र.ज.को लागि)||५०||यूनिसेफ, नेपाल|
|१६||२०६९||ToT on Gender Responsive Investigation and Counseling Skill||३०||ADB|
|१७||२०६९||Gender Responsive Investigation and Counseling Skill for district level staff ( Bara, Dhanusha Rautahat, Doti)||२४३||ADB|
|१८||२०६९||Gender Responsive Investigation and Counseling Skill in the Kathmandu Valley for junior level and other staffs||६०||ADB|
|१९||२०६९||Concept on UNSCR 1325 and 1820||५००||Ministry of Peace and Reconstruction|
|२०||२०७० बैशाख||Gender Responsive Investigation and Counseling Skill in Jumla district for senior, junior level and other staffs||६०||ADB|
|२१||२०७० भाद्र||ToT on Women Peace and Security||३०||Ministry of Peace and Reconstruction|
|२२||२०७० भाद्र देखी चैत्र सम्म||Capacity Enhancement of Nepal Police to Contricute the Peace Process Effectively (Bharatpur, Nepalgunj, Butwal and Armed Police Battalion no. 1, Biratnagar, Dhangadhi, Parsa, PHQ, Ramechhap, Kavre) Junior||५०७||Ministry of Peace and Reconstruction|
|२३||२०७०||"महिला तथा बालबालिकासंग सम्बन्धित अपराध अन्सन्धान" विषयक १६ दिने प्रशिक्षण तालीम सम्पन्न - उपत्यकामा कार्यरत प्र.ना.उ. देखि प्र.नि. दर्जाका प्र.क.हरु सहभागि||६४||रा.प्र.प्र.प्र.|
1. Capacity enhancement of Nepal Police to contribute to peace process effectively (implementation of National Action Plan on UNSCR 1325 & 1820)
2. Protection, prevention and recovery (PPR) program (implementation of National Action Plan on UNSCR 1325 & 1820).
3.ADB JFPR 9135: Establishing Women and Children Service Centers project ( project districts Jumla, Doti, Bara, Dhanusha, Rautahat)
18 Years crime data related to women and children:
|Fiscal Year (BS)||Rape||Attempt to rape||Trafficking||Abortion||Polygamy||Child marriage||Domestic violence|
WCSC requests the citizens
- To inform police as soon as seeing or encountering any violence against women and children.
- Your information and support can help police arrest the suspect(s).
- WCSC is committed to necessary actions on all forms of crime related to women and children.
For further details or information please contact at:
Telephone number : 977 1 4414745
Women in Nepal Police
- Chaitamaya Dangol recruited on 15 June 1951 as the first woman Police Constable was entrusted to carry out search and arrest female offenders.
- In 1968, 25 women police were recruited for traffic management.
- Significant intake of women police took place between1985-86.
- In 1986, a separate Woman Police Company (Mahila Gulma) was established under the PHQ.
- In 1995, Traffic Woman Company (Mahila Traffic Gulma) was established under Valley Traffic Police Office.
Current status of women police
|1.||Inspector General of Police||-|
|2.||Additional Inspector General of Police||-|
|3.||Deputy Inspector General of Police||0|
|4.||Senior Superintendent of Police||4|
|5.||Superintendent of Police||3|
|6.||Deputy Superintendent of Police||14|
|7.||Inspector of Police||46|
|8.||Sub Inspector of Police||157|
|9.||Assistant Sub Inspector of Police||243|
|10.||Police Head Constable||625|
Women police are involved in:
- Women and Children Service Center
- Maintaining law and order and providing security
- Police operations
- Traffic management
- Crime investigation and intelligence
- Training (as instructors)
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT),
- Medical and other technical fields
- Police band
- UN missions (UNPOL/FPU)
Participation of women police in United Nations peacekeeping missions:
|Total participation as UNPOL||83|
|Currently serving as UNPOL||6|
|Total participation as FPU member||212|
|Currently serving as FPU member||28|
Opportunities for women in Nepal Police:
- Commission as police constable: Elementary education
- Commission as Assistant Sub Inspector (Non-gazetted 3rd class): Intermediate or + 2
- Commission as Inspector (Gazetted 3rd class): Bachelors degree in any discipline
- Impact Evaluation Survey of the ADB/JFPR 9135-NEP Project: Establishing Women and Children Service Centers
- Baseline Survey on Violence against Women and Children of Five Project Districts
- Gender-Responsive Investigation and Counseling Training Manual for Participants
- Training Manual on Gender-Responsive Investigation and Counseling Skills