केन्द्रीय प्रहरी फोरेंसिक विज्ञान प्रयोगशाला
Forensic science is a scientific discipline which is directed to the recognition, identification, individualization and evaluation of physical evidence by the application of the principles and methods of natural sciences for the purpose of administration of criminal justice. It embraces all branches of science and applies to the purposes of law .It is mainly concerned with materials and indirectly through materials with men, places and time. In a nutshell, forensic science aims to help in crime investigation and justice delivery. “Man can tell a lie but the physical evidence not”. Physical evidence can be presented in the court as a mute and unbiased witness. Taking it into the consideration, most of the countries in world have established and authorized the forensic science laboratory to examine the physical evidence. Many countries have been working in the field of forensic for long period of time, however, Nepal Police established Forensic Science Laboratory in 1960 (2017 BS). It has over the years established different Forensic Units gradually.
||Established date in BS
The erstwhile Royal Judiciary Reform Commission decided to merge the Nepal Police Forensic Laboratory with National Forensic Science Laboratory in 2045 BS. Finally, the then His Majesty’s Government of Nepal reestablished the Central Police Forensic Science Laboratory as per the decision of 2051-10-11 BS as an undertaking of Police Headquarters, Crime Investigation Department. Now, there are eleven actively functioning Units equipped with latest and sophisticated equipment like AFIS, GCMS, VSC-6000, DNA test facilities among others. Every year the lab receives and analyzes more than 800 cases.
- Fingerprint Section
- AFIS Section
- Biology/Serology Section
- DNA Profiling Section
- Toxicology Section
- Chemistry/Narcotics Section
- Explosives Section
- Questioned Document Section
- Ballistics Section
- Physics Section
- Photography Section
- To perform scientific examination and interpretation of physical evidences submitted to the laboratory by criminal justice community and other govermental agencies and provide them written expert opinion.
- To present expert witness testimony in courts of law or other concerned agencies in an understandable, unbiased and professional manner.
- To store the received evidences safely and maintain their chain of custody.
- To conduct forensic trainings in different disciplines for laboratory’s employees and provide them opportunities to participate in international trainings, seminars, workshops, conferences, etc. to ensure their professional growth.
- To conduct research independently or in collaboration with national or international organization in the area of forensic science.
- To establish new sevices as well as expand services to other parts of the country as per requirements.
- To provide expert services or advice to crime scene investigation related to serious crimes on demand basis and to provide expert advice on forensic related matter to criminal justice community or other concerned agencies.
- To implement quality standards to make the service credible.
- To establish internationally practiced database like AFIS, DNA database, Ballistics database, etc. for the purpose of crime investigation.
- To impart knowledge of forensic science to all stakeholders by organizing training, workshops and laboratory visit.
- To co-ordinate with national and international agencies to identify and expand the area of cooperation aimed at strenghthening the laboratory.
- To perform other works as prescribed.
- Strengthening of Central Police Forensic lab with sophisticated equipment and competent Personnel.
- Expansion of forensic lab in different Provinces.
- Initiation for ISO certification.